How long does a package stay in customs?

all else goes here...
EMs SR1200 UTE
Regular

How long does a package stay in customs?

Post by EMs SR1200 UTE »

Last wednesday according to a tracking n# my maddat package arrived into auckland :thumbsup:

Now its just about a week later and its still there!!

Anybody know how long it takes to get processedand sent out? And will they be intouch if we have to pay any tax on it.

Cheers for any help as its taking a long time to come back.
S13 SR20 Datsun Roadster Ute
cul8r
Regular
aka: Chris

Re: How long does a package stay in customs?

Post by cul8r »

I got some parts recently in from the states. I'd expect a letter roughly a week-week and a half after you see its landed in NZ telling you that you've got some tax to pay. From there they're pretty slow to be honest, best to email them, they'll then take a couple days to release it & send it on its way.
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

EMs SR1200 UTE wrote:Last wednesday according to a tracking n# my maddat package arrived into auckland :thumbsup:

Anybody know how long it takes to get processedand sent out? And will they be intouch if we have to pay any tax on it.

I have found that they WILL mail you when THEY are good and ready ,and read the letter carefully, and I have found the easiest way to get things moving is to ring the customs direct number, pay your money by Visa and things happen quickly after that.
IF YOU DO OWE TAX YOU CAN BE absolutely certain THEY'LL BE IN TOUCH. THEN YOU HAVE 21 DAYS TO PAY OR THEY SAY THEY WILL POST IT BACK TO THE SENDER.
Tax is due if the goods are to the value of (including postage) of NZ $400.00.
Not hard to do when aussie dollar is worth more than $NZ dollar.
All the best but be prepared for a big bill...it is more than GST....

Cheers,
Bernie.
LUFDAT
Datsun Dreamer
aka: lisa

Post by LUFDAT »

chris_g1 wrote:
EMs SR1200 UTE wrote:Last wednesday according to a tracking n# my maddat package arrived into auckland :thumbsup:

I have found that they WILL mail you when THEY are good and ready ,and read the letter carefully, and I have found the easiest way to get things moving is to ring the customs direct number, pay your money by Visa and things happen quickly after that.
IF YOU DO OWE TAX YOU CAN BE absolutely certain THEY'LL BE IN TOUCH. THEN YOU HAVE 21 DAYS TO PAY OR THEY SAY THEY WILL POST IT BACK TO THE SENDER.
Tax is due if the goods are to the value of (including postage) of NZ $400.00.
Not hard to do when aussie dollar is worth more than $NZ dollar.
All the best but be prepared for a big bill...it is more than GST....

Cheers,
Bernie.

yup, what he said.
If your tracking says "held for clearance", you owe Customs.
I have parcels through customs all the time and the minute i see it's been held, we ring up and pay over the phone.
Once that's done they hand it back to NZ Post and you should get in within a week.

Basically Customs have your parcel, tell NZ Post to send you a letter, then NZ Post wait to hear from you, then tell Customs, who release it and give it back to NZ Post. Seriously, best to cut out the middle man!
kartboy
Committee Members
aka: Hayden

Post by kartboy »

I guess I must have been lucky, my bits including postage from aussie were NZ$490 took about a week to land on my doorstep and managed to miss getting the lucky letter from customs.
EMs SR1200 UTE
Regular

Post by EMs SR1200 UTE »

Thanks for the replys,

Ironically a letter turned up today, I will get onto paying whatever is owing tomorrow so I can get my stuff :deadhorse:
S13 SR20 Datsun Roadster Ute