Looking at moving to NZ

all else goes here...
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Looking at moving to NZ

Post by DJZ »

There's a water treatment plant in Rolleston that's undergoing some upgrades at the moment, Rolleston is just outside of Christchurch. We also have a pretty sweet sewage treatment plant in Christchurch itself.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

There is shitloads of work in Christchurch at the moment.
Plenty of jobs going in the infrastructure industry. and there will soon be an EXPLOSION in the construction sector.
If you're any good, Aptitude, attitude and reliable more so than actually being super skilled up. Then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job. I'm so far behind at work, that I'm never going to be able to die if I wanna catch up. (Infrastructure maintenance)
I see on the news the rest of the country isn't quite as rosy though. As I see it, if you're unemployed in in Christchurch at the moment, then there's something wrong with you.

But I forbid you from moving here unless you bring your cars with you!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

And on bringing cars here - you will find we have pretty good laws around that, compared with some countries anyway, and if you have owned them for a while it used to be even easier, I'm not sure if that still applies.
We moved to Christchurch about 10 years ago, I have 3 girls ranging in age from 14 down to 3, we find Christchurch is great, quite sadly broken, but the shakes seem to have died right down, as predicted. It is a lovely city, with great opportunities for children and us grown ups. The cost of living is quiet reasonable, even compared with other parts of the country, although rental housing is probably higher currently, due to a shortage of houses. It would be easy for us to move, but we choose to stay because we like it here, and see a good future for the city, even if that is 10 years in the building.
But the big thing is we probably have one of the healthiest Datsun populations in the world, per head of population, and a few more would be most welcome.
Datsuns from A to Zed
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

welcome man, would be awesome if you did move to NZ, and like most of the guys on here, christchurch is ACE.

im originally from south africa. have been here almost 11 years and havent looked back. love it here and dont really think i could see myself anywhere else.

coming from the states, i dont think you would have many issues getting into NZ. it does take a while and there is a lot of paper work, but its well worth the time and effort.

to make it easier to get set up, i would suggest to come out by yourself and try find a job and a place to stay. would be cheaper and easier with the family back home just until you get settled.

my dad did this, and after 4 months he had a full time job and a house to stay in. that way we just jumped on a plane and got stuck into life.
Unionmine

Post by Unionmine »

I'm still trying to get all the paper work gathered up. I have know idea how long all that is going to take could be a wile.also have a couple cars to sell. Has any one tried to bring in a car from out of the country. I have found requirement for almost ever country except NZ.
I would like to bring my 510 with me cant afford to bring both.what i can find is the shipping cost is around 2500 to 3000 US for each car.
kartboy
Committee Members
aka: Hayden

Post by kartboy »

Unionmine wrote:I'm still trying to get all the paper work gathered up. I have know idea how long all that is going to take could be a wile.also have a couple cars to sell. Has any one tried to bring in a car from out of the country. I have found requirement for almost ever country except NZ.
I would like to bring my 510 with me cant afford to bring both.what i can find is the shipping cost is around 2500 to 3000 US for each car.
Have you priced putting them both into a container then shipping the container? If you have trouble finding details out let me know, my brothers mate brought in a couple of corvettes from over there a few years back.

I think from memory that they must have been owned for longer than 3 months in country of origin before they can stay left hand drive over here (this may only be for later model cars though)
Unionmine

Post by Unionmine »

kartboy wrote:
Unionmine wrote:I'm still trying to get all the paper work gathered up. I have know idea how long all that is going to take could be a wile.also have a couple cars to sell. Has any one tried to bring in a car from out of the country. I have found requirement for almost ever country except NZ.
Have you priced putting them both into a container then shipping the container? If you have trouble finding details out let me know, my brothers mate brought in a couple of corvettes from over there a few years back.

I think from memory that they must have been owned for longer than 3 months in country of origin before they can stay left hand drive over here (this may only be for later model cars though)
Interesting My 1200 has not been registered in 30 years. I need to get that done. How are the laws on older cars for emissions testing?
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Emissions testing? What's that Haha, old cars anything goes here atm
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

What is emissions testing??? :badgrin: We don't have any of that silliness here in NZ. Unless it had a cat converter from new.

The only real obstacle to getting them registered here is rust. It not only has to be fixed properly, but it'll need a repair cert from an approved Repair certifier. That and a kick arse roadworthy inspection. Which is quite thorough.
There's a bloke named Steve Curle who ships stuff out of California to NZ. My dad used him to get a pair of 60's Mopar convertables out here a few years ago. http://www.kiwishipping.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Hi and welcome, as others have stated chch is probably the one place in the country at the moment that will have a positive growth in employment , and probably will for many years to come, schooling is probably better than a lot of countrys, but myself and my wife prefer home schooling, as it meets the needs of our children better, we are even paid a twice yearly allowance for this, which more than covers the costs of books and learning materials, where as public schools are user pays based.

As for importing datsuns, im positive you cant bring anything into the country unless the cabin and boot are chock full of desirable parts that cant be found, or are hard to come by in this country, ie A series injection systems, dogleg A series gear boxs 2 door sedan rear quater windows etc etc ;) kidding.. but the process is pretty simple.