L28 oil filter/ pressure issue

all your DIY needs
Bluebird_U
Regular

L28 oil filter/ pressure issue

Post by Bluebird_U »

Bit of a back story first, have been playing around on an L28 that has been sitting (and occasionally turned over only) for the last 5 years. In preparation for hopefully getting it back on the road the engine and gearbox oil has been changed along with the oil filter. Once the ignition had been checked over a "test run" up the road was done to check it was running ok.

Now it gets a bit interesting. On pulling up to the driveway and doing a check around the car a line of oil had followed the car up the road, Doh! that cant be good - well it wasnt coming from the rear at least, so the bonnet was popped and the engine bay on the drivers side was coated/ splattered with oil. Nothing above the cam cover gasket and forward of the oil filter was covered in oil - easy to see cause of the dust... With my brother checking the engine it was turned over and rev'ed and a thin stream of oil (2-3mm dai) came out of the top of the oil filter back and hits the fire wall. Seems that it happens above 2-3000 rpm.

So after cleaning up the mess I will check the filter tightness then pull it and check the seal against the old one to make sure its seated, then work backwards to check the bypass valve is free and then pull the pressure relief valve out of the bottom of the oil pump to make sure its not stuck.

So before I tear into again I thought id see if anyone has got any other ideas that I can check out before its started again.
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: L28 oil filter/ pressure issue

Post by DJZ »

Sometimes oil filter seams split/open up where they are crimped together, not very often though. If it was definitely coming from the filter then replace it.

Also sometimes the oil pressure sensor or sender can leak as well.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bluebird_U
Regular

Re: L28 oil filter/ pressure issue

Post by Bluebird_U »

Looks like it was an Id10t problem - took the filter off and found the remains of rust scale or something similar that must of come loose from all the stuff around the old filter and got on to the mounting face. It had not been blown loose and made a pretty good mess, so the next time less haste, more checking and more lighting :fart: . Thanks for your comments DJZ.