A15 side draft manifold

all your DIY needs
82m
Regular

A15 side draft manifold

Post by 82m »

Hey guys, I am about to take my head off to drill and tap the hole into the head between the intake ports on my a15. For my twin side draft manifold. I was wondering if I need to make a blanking plate for the coolant holes which are underneath the ports? Or is the manifold enough to block those off?

Also just wondering where you guys get the vacuum for the brake booster? Do I have to tap a fitting into my new manifold?

Cheers
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: A15 side draft manifold

Post by classicdat »

Yes you will need to blank the coolant ports, I threaded a pan head screw in to them that fitted into the gasket and sealed it in.
I once had a manifold with 4 nipples one threaded into each runner, with tubes into a collector that fed the Booster and Vacuum Advance on the distributor. I think this was over kill but may have been used for balancing the carbs. Probably just one big fitting in one runner would do as good a job but not the vacuum advance
Datsuns from A to Zed
82m
Regular

Post by 82m »

Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I think I will do the same as you to block off the coolant holes. but I will have to locktite some grub screws in there for clearance.

For the vacuum hose, do you think it would work if I tapped a hole into each runner and ran some 1/4" (ish) hose between some tee pieces inline?
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

82m wrote:Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I think I will do the same as you to block off the coolant holes. but I will have to locktite some grub screws in there for clearance.

For the vacuum hose, do you think it would work if I tapped a hole into each runner and ran some 1/4" (ish) hose between some tee pieces inline?
Iif you tap into all four runners the pipes want to be the same length and go into one collector . IF you just tap into one runner you will get pumping which can fell funny under hard braking .
82m
Regular

Post by 82m »

I've only just geared myself up to do this job. my flatmate decided to do some work in the shed and paint his car.

I know there will be a thread on this somewhere, I cant seem to find anything..
I am needing to know how deep to drill the holes between the intake ports. I was thinking just about 10mm, my dad thinks up to 20mm. Is there anything I need to consider? like going too deep and hitting an oil or coolant gallery?

Hope someone can help with this cheers
Sinfull
Regular

Post by Sinfull »

My thought although not having done it before is to remove one of the studs and measure the length that goes into the head. That'll give you something to go by.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
78 Datsun 120y Sedan - Sold
72 Datsun 1200 Coupe - Sold
69 Datsun 510 Sedan
74 Datsun 620 Ute
95 Nissan Sunny
82m
Regular

Post by 82m »

My thoughts were the same, however there more weight hanging off less studs. So im not too sure now.
AlexNab
aka: AlexNab

-

Post by AlexNab »

My apologies... Im new to this site and am a little behind with updating information. I have a Lifan 250 in a custom frame. I was looking to put a side draft intake on since the top crossbar is so low. Ive seen a few bikes that had side drafts but no information.