To wider track or not

all your DIY needs
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

To wider track or not

Post by MONTY »

What's everyone's thoughts on widening the track on cars?

Since putting in the r30 rear subframe and arms in I've gained about 10mm each side, my intention was to use Hub spacers to even out the front to keep in in proportion,

But keen to hear people's thoughts as this will decide whether I hack the r30 subframe up to for the adjustable rear arm kit or the standard 180b ones

Things that are running through my mine is handling, and spares parts at the mo,

guard clearance is sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Re: To wider track or not

Post by tlssunny »

is it a race car? I wouldn't worry about it if its just a street car. its not like every single corner driving around chch you are going to be full noise and hitting the apex and all that bullshit.
if its already in and you have guard clearance why make more work for ya self?
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

To wider track or not

Post by MONTY »

Hey tls, It will be used for racing, not all the time and it's not going to be my daily either more my play car.

The hard work has pretty much been done on the rear (axle spacers machined up etc) and the front would just need hub spacers to finish it

I'm just worried it'll stuff the handling up as you mentioned on my other post about it pushing etc.
The front will have coilovers and camber adjustment along with the rear.

The importance of this choice at the moment is on fitting the adjustable rear subframe kit ( which needs to be welded to the subframe) so I need to make the call and decide which one to hack up.

Don't know if that spiel helps but that's what's floating round in my head at the mo

torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Not the answer you will be after but I have 3 subframes setup in varying ways to determine how my car will handle.
I will get the car running then have a play before i complete my final assembly
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

To wider track or not

Post by MONTY »

Haha nope but thanks torqued I did a bit more reading around front track and unless I lengthen my front arms it won't be good so looks like I'll roll with the original 180b one

Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

It was my understanding that it's bester to have the rear track a bit narrower, so that the push from the rear is inside the front ends grasp on the road.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............