A15 starter jamming?

all your DIY needs
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

A15 starter jamming?

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi All,

Trying to start up my 410 with an A15. The starter motor seems to be jamming. The engine turns over freely by hand but when I engage the starter I may get a couple of turns, but sound pretty horrible, then it sort of jams. If I turn the engine over backwards (by hand), it frees up again. The setup is an A15 engine from a vannette, backing plate and a A12 flywheel. The starter may be from a 120y.

Any ideas what may cause this? I will pull the starter off, but it is a real hassle with where it sits with the engine mount to unbolt and get it off so wanted to see if anyone had some ideas beforehand.

Thanks
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Re: A15 starter jamming?

Post by tlssunny »

I would check the starter motor engages and disengages correctly to start with
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I can see from the engine bay pic why you don't want to take it out, very frustrating.
Can you get under it and check the starter is bolted up square? Do you have the heavy metal backing plate fitted in between the engine and box?
Being at the stage you are this probably isn't it but I did have a similar experience with my first car, a 120why. The previous owner must have ridden the clutch a lot, I was young and abused it in other ways, needless to say we ended up with clutch linings in the ring gear.
Datsuns from A to Zed
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

classicdat wrote:I can see from the engine bay pic why you don't want to take it out, very frustrating.
Can you get under it and check the starter is bolted up square? Do you have the heavy metal backing plate fitted in between the engine and box?
Haha yeah. It is in a prick of a place. I learnt a lot doing this build (which was the purpose), including that I should have made more provision for the accessories coming in and out.

I will get under and loosen off the bolts and then do them up again to see if it is somehow off square. Failing that I will take it all out.

Yes I do have the heavy metal backing plate fitted between the engine and the box. It is an A12 flywheel. The starter motor I think came from a 120y but I don't know what engine.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yeah I'd be checking solenoid or maybe the drive is stripped. Parts should still be available new for these starters too. I got a workmate to rebuild my one in the Laurel was cheap as.