HELP! steering box install?

all your DIY needs
buzzy
Datsun Driver

HELP! steering box install?

Post by buzzy »

Anyone know how the hell to get the steering box and shaft back in once its out?

I cant for the life of me get it back in through the firewall hole attached to the steering shaft! i could take the shaft out of the steering box and attach the box then put the shaft in through the inside but don't really want to do that as will leak oil everywhere!

any ideas/tips?
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Re: HELP! steering box install?

Post by R3spct »

From what i under stand you dont want to try remove the steering column from the box, ball bearings everywhere!

Im not sure, i would have thought the shaft goes through the rubber gasket on firewall, and the 3 bolts hold the box to the chassis, then do up the clamp at top of column.?
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Yea, Don't split it.
On a 510 ( Mine at least ) I cannot get the S/Box in/out with the motor and XMember on.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
buzzy
Datsun Driver

Post by buzzy »

OK I had to pull the shaft out as there was no way i could make it go in as one piece!

next problem! now when i stick the shaft back into the steering box the steering is reversed!! the steering arm is facing forwards as i thought i may have had this back to front, but I cant figure out how it can be the reverse??!! Anyone had this happen before?
taiparacer
Datsun Dreamer

Post by taiparacer »

man im glad to see im not the only one did u take the ign lock off ?