Oil pressure after rebuild

all your DIY needs
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Oil pressure after rebuild

Post by unlimitedpower »

Well i finally decided to fill my engine up with oil today.
Engine is still up on the engine stand,
Engine is a L14 has a brand new L28ET oil pump on it,

So i primed the oil pump and bolted it in place checking dizzy drive position,

I have turned the engine over many many times by hand with a socket on the front pulley, I am looking for oil to flow through the cam shaft but it never came though, So i unscrewed the oil pressure sender fitting to see if oil would flow from the block.
Nothing would come out of that port,

So next i pulled pump and it was still fill to the brim with oil. So i put it back on.

I then unscrewed the oil filter and oil went everywhere all over my floor. So i know at least that the pump has picked up oil and started to move it round,

Am i just turning the engine over to slowly with a socket and a ratchet???

I would love to be able to prove that i have oil flowing fully round my engine before i put it in the car,

I do have the option of dropping the engine off the stand and bolting a bell housing to it, The i can fit up the starter motor and turn it over with that.
Does anyone think that this is what i will have to do to get engine spinning quick enough to move the oil round?

Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated,

Thanks

Brett
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Oil pressure after rebuild

Post by DJZ »

Yeah I think you're on the right track, you're not spinning it fast enough. If you had a spare dizzy shaft you could remove the gear off it and make up an adaptor to spin it with a drill?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

I've had the same problem with A-series engines after reassembly. Even on the starter with plugs out I could not get oil pressure. Tried filling the pump with oil, then Moreys, then grease, nothing worked. Then all of a sudden the first one seemed to pick up oil.
The last one I did had a gear reduction starter and didn't want to pull up oil at all. Ended up putting the plugs in and starting the engine. It then built oil pressure. Was shitting myself about wiping the camlobes both times but they didn't thankfully.
Very frustrating.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Cool thanks.
I may try dropping it on the ground. Fitting the flywheel and starter etc, Atleast i know the pump has picked up oil because the oil filter was fill. Im not to worried about the cam lobes and rockers as i can oil those externally with the cover off its the bearings spinning round and round in there with no oil im a little worried about,
taiparacer
Datsun Dreamer

Post by taiparacer »

just out of interest were u both using brand new oil pumps
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

No. But they didnt appear to be worn.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

In the end i pressed off the gear off a spare oil pump drive fitted that to the engine, Put a 12MM socket and an extension connected to my power drill and sprayed oil out of the oil pressure sender hole all over the car which was next to the engine. So i think its good, Had oil flowing out of the cam holes so im happy.