Changing wheel studs from 7/16 to m12 and getting more lengt

all your DIY needs
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Changing wheel studs from 7/16 to m12 and getting more lengt

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi all,

With the wheels I'm running and the disc brake conversion I want to get longer wheel studs and also convert from 7/16-20 (Datsun 410) to m12. The discs I am using are drilled to m12 so there is some slop that I would rather not have.

Keen to hear from anyone who has done this before. In particular interested in what wheel studs you used. Also is this something I should just be able to take to an engineering shop and have done? I'm up Silverdale way (north or Auckland) so if you know of anyone in this area that could do this I would be keen to hear.

Thanks
Jeremy
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Re: Changing wheel studs from 7/16 to m12 and getting more l

Post by 68p510sss »

Hi Jeremy here is a copy and paste from one of my earlier posts, I used cut down NS4570 to get longer studs in my race 510.

I hope this helps:-

Nice products catalogue can be downloaded from

https://niceproducts.com.au/products/wheel-studs-nuts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should be a mine of information including dimensions of various models.

Good luck
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
spiderwebfx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Chris

Post by spiderwebfx »

Hey Jeremy, do this have a knurl type stud like most modern vehicles? When I need to convert my Hilux diff from M12x1.5 (Toyota) to M12x1.25 (Nissan) I measured the knurl on the OEM studs went to Repco and just went through their catalogs until I found one with the right knurl, length and thread pitch. There are so many options it's unlikely you won't find something suitable. And it'd be much cheaper than going to an engineer.
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Thanks for the replies.

I've got to press some of the current windows studs out to measure the knurl, but info on Ratsun suggests they are less than a 12mm knurl. As I want to go to 12mm studs, the knurl is likely going to be at least 12.3mm if serrated. I believe the 510 was 12x1.25 to start so can take a larger knurl. I don't want to risk pressing something in with too larger knurl and splitting the hub.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50