Turbo gurus

all your DIY needs
2 doors
Datsun God

Turbo gurus

Post by 2 doors »

Need some help, when I mounted my turbo on my A series motor, I didnt realise that the optimum oil feed and return line angle is to have the feed at the very top and the return at the bottom, for best oil return to the sump.
DJZ pointed this out and I have sorted the issue by loosening off the 4 bolts that hold the turbo flange, and rotating the turbo to line things up, the problem now though is that the boost control thing will foul on the turbo outlet pipe, can the inlet portion of the turbo be rotated as well ,or is it fixed to the centre bearing section?? its held in place by a circlip, so my assumption is there will be plenty of tension ( side tension ) against the circlip and im reluctant to undo it and have things fly apart. any ideas ? should I get an aftermarket boost controller and mount that instead?
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Turbo gurus

Post by Bartman »

The compressor housing should be able to be rotated.
The part you're referring to is the wastegate actuator arm.
you might need a decent pair of circlip pliers though. They can be very tight.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

They sure are pretty big circlips but I just rotated the compressor housing buy taking some tension off the circlip.

My wastegate actuator arm had a bracket bolted to the to the comp housing and I just had to retap it to get it in the right place.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

dattoboy wrote:They sure are pretty big circlips but I just rotated the compressor housing buy taking some tension off the circlip.

My wastegate actuator arm had a bracket bolted to the to the comp housing and I just had to retap it to get it in the right place.

thought of that, but rotating the compressor housing will work better.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yup you can turn the compressor housing by removing the circllip and moving it round. Bart and I did this with my turbo
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Called Clocking the turbo, few youtube vids on the subject if you get stuck.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Thanks guys, didn't want to undo the circlip and have everything fly apart lol,