A series oil coolers

all your DIY needs
2 doors
Datsun God

A series oil coolers

Post by 2 doors »

Anyone ever fitted one to an A series, and is it worth the effort? being that im turbo charging my car I thought it might be a good idea.
and where would one plumb the fittings from, Im guessing that an aftermarket oil filter housing with the external fittings is the way to go here?
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: A series oil coolers

Post by classicdat »

I've had no experience with A series but have one on my L if you want a nosy when you ae over next. CAs ran the same filter I think so maybe there is on available that fits.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You can buy kits Wal.
A sanwhich block that goes between the oil filter, and the oil pump. Many of them also have in inbuilt thermostat, so that unless the oil is real hot, it bypasses the cooler. as stone cold oil can hard the e engine.
take a look on the tard, or maybe Ebay.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Wal from a turbocharging point of view yes it is a good idea, but it might not be necessary.

Bart mentioned the Thermostat thing, this is the only way to go if you do fit an oil cooler.

Most boosted engines will only run full boost for a maximum of 20-30 seconds by then you are doing a long way above the speed limit and into lose your territory. So that comparatively short blast will usually be able to be absorbed by the engine providing the rest of the cooling system is up to the task.

Personally I would try it first without an oil cooler but using a high end synthetic oil, if your water temps are running a bit on the high side but not dramatically a regulated oil cooler may be just the ticket, as it will take a heat load from both the oil and has a benefit of lowering water temperatures too.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Thanks all, I was thinking of it from the point of view of assisting the lowering of the engine core temp, therefore aiding the radiator cooling, thermostat would be the go .
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

my engine builder doesnt think you need one but with your turbo setup etc i definetely would be using one
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Can always throw a temp gauge on there and get the proof.

Is your turbo water cooler Wal ?
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

no its oil cooled