adjusting brakes 76 180b

all your DIY needs
foxy

adjusting brakes 76 180b

Post by foxy »

Hey, anyone in chch able to give me some advice on adjusting the rear drum brakes and bleeding brake lines? I have a '76 180b wagon and am trying to get back on the road again. The asian WOF place said the brake pedal had to much play and handbrake was too loose, so i think the aforementioned procedures will sort it out. Does that sound about right? Car was parked up for 2 years as have been studying at uni.
Cheers
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: adjusting brakes 76 180b

Post by Bartman »

You need to un-adjust the handbrake cable, and then adjust the rear shoes out till they're just touching the drums. (But not dragging hard out)
Then re-adjust the handbrake cable.
is the car in CHCH, or Oamaru?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
foxy

Post by foxy »

in christchurch, in ilam.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

What tools, jack etc have you got.
Not too big a job, just as Bart said.
The adjuster on a 610 will be inside the backing plate and accessed from behind through a rubber bung I'd think, just turn it, it will make a clicking sound as the ratchet clicks over the teeth. Don't over tighten as they can be a pain to back off.
It may pay to remove the drums first to inspect the condition of the breaks and if there is any fluid leaks, especially if it has been sitting.
Datsuns from A to Zed
foxy

Post by foxy »

there is the square end adjuster that sticks out of the backing plate, i was following the haynes manual that i have the other day. Thought i would ask on here as within a small amount of turning (1/4) the hub would not turn at all by hand, so backed it off a tiny amount and then would turn very freely. I think i will take the drum off and check the condition of everything like you suggested, cheers
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

:oops: my apologies. I thought 610 would have the other adjuster. I haven't owned one in 30 years. The adjuster has flats on the inside so as it goes over the points it gets tight then free again, every 1/4 turn. Remember to back off handbrake first as Bart said.
Datsuns from A to Zed