sr20det into a 160j

all your DIY needs
160jvioletsss

sr20det into a 160j

Post by 160jvioletsss »

Hey has anyone put a sr20det into a 160j sss violet as im looking at doing this and would like to know what id need to change e.g cross member can i still use the sr20det gear box .
Any help and tips for doing this swap would be much appreciated thanks
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: sr20det into a 160j

Post by Bartman »

Hows your budget?
If you're not up to fabricating your own mounts etc, I'm pretty sure datsport stuff would make it a bolt in conversion?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Depends on your skill level. Yes i have done it.

If you want to make it easy for youself buy all the datsport stuff but it cost lots.

Or

Flip front cross member. The mounts unbolt off the crossmember, (leave loose and bolt to the engine mounts so it sits there but not bolted in).. I then got the gearbox mount and ran a 12mm drill bit through them and bolted them to the 6 speed box. Bolt the gearbox crossmember into the can in the standard location. (you need to enlarge the shifter hole first).
Then where the mounts are sitting on the front crossmember (which you flipped and is bolted in the car) tak weld the engine mount brackets to the crossmember, Remove and weld up and then your all done. Mount up,

This way saves the use for customizing a gearbox crossmember as the stock one is perfect.
It moves the engine about 10-15mm further forwards than the other way of doing it. Which in my opinion is better as if clears the drag link (so no need to modify it) and it also allows a little more room for dump pipe and heater hoses etc.

Wiring if you can do it your self do that., If not send it to Hamish (easywire loom guy on trademe),
Hook it up to ignition fuel pump and earth and it will start,

Get a driveshaft made to suit.
And all the rest of the shit that goes with it intercooler radiator blah blah blah,

All takes time and lots of thinking its been done time and time before in 1600s so there is heaps of info out there,
crustywhip
Datsun Addict
aka: Kane

Post by crustywhip »

Or just buy one
http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-f ... un/1298982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current whips: 1976 120y datsun van-1977 JZX31 toyopet markII coupe-1984 Toyota markII supercharged -Yamaharley XV 500
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Holy shit that's jumped up in value,
I know that car very well to,