questions about lots of stuff

all your DIY needs
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

questions about lots of stuff

Post by MONTY »

read on.....
Last edited by MONTY on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Re: seat mount fabrication

Post by nick_m »

I don't know what the motorsport regs are but if you can use your original seat mount points it makes LVV Cert way easier. I got stung when I welded new seat mounts into the car to suit different seats as mine were rusty as so I had cut them out, which is a No go for LVV Cert so had to cut them out. That was my fault though I didn't investigate before I did the work.
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

Post by MONTY »

yes but if you read the lvvt docs on seat mounts you can do it just have to follow the rules

and if you have a msnz authority card its easier but i want to try and avoid that
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I'm pretty sure that if you're running a hydraulic handbrake then you'll need a motorsport authority card to pass a wof.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

I talked to the certifier (after i had done the work, my mistake) and he said you can't weld to the floor, end of story. It has to be a bolted and riveted connection through the floor unless. Anything between those floor mounts and the seats can be welded though which is retarded. I'd go talk to your certifier about exactly what you want to do before you do it, because trust it licks nuts cutting out all your hard work to start again. I'd hate to see someone else have to do it.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Like me for example, dispite the fact that I pretty much copied the original design for my seat mounts and made them out of 1.6 zintec ( instead of 1.0)
and doubled the number of spot welds, to make it bullet proof, its still illegal according to the letter of the law, even the certifyer said the law was a crock of shit, now I have to remove them and make them less strong :shock: . Bottom line TALK TO THE CERTIFYR, and find out exactly what they expect to see.
IT will save you grief in the long run.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

sorry just re-read the post I assumed tht this car is going on the road?? if not then might be a differant set of rules for dedicated race car.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

I dont understand the question
Appendix 2 Sch "A" section 4.5 is pretty specific.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Assuming the post works,
I made mine (goddy) so they bolt in on the factory original mounting.
A steel frame made from 1.6mm tube with 3mm brackets welded on to pick up the factory mounting posiions.
The seats bolt to 3mm steel pates weleded to the bolt in frame.

On the 310 it has 1.6mm steel rails WELDED across between tunnel and inner door sill, with reinforcing plates.
The seats are on ally brackets that bolt to the welded in position rails.

Both cars comply and are certed and have auth cards
MONTY
Datsun Dreamer

Post by MONTY »

On the 310 it has 1.6mm steel rails WELDED across between tunnel and inner door sill, with reinforcing plates.
The seats are on ally brackets that bolt to the welded in position rails.
This is what we did in seans rally car and i had my eyes set on doing this, unfortunately i have to remove the old floopan mounts to get my seats lower