SR16ve RWD

all your DIY needs
IIIRII
Regular

Re: SR16ve RWD

Post by IIIRII »

Front cover is shown, theres one hole that wont ever line up with the threaded hole in the block, but its pretty unecessary anyway.
DO NOT TAP THE BLOCK HERE.
The smart thing would have been to tig a new piece on to pick up the existing thread in the block.
I had to use 2 m5x40 cap screws with nyloc nuts on the front as I couldnt get the m6 bolts to start.
I tried shortening a tap and getting it to start from the top , but it wouldnt start and I just took the line of least resistance and used a nut and bolt.

Im not doing anything with external oil return on the rear of the head, I had a good look at it and Im pretty confident the factory S14 returns will be fine (see bare block pcx).
Time will tell.
I might revisit this tho.

Going back to the pullies, the factory 1600 runs a 1 rib wider belt than the SR20 but Im using the SR20 belt , so as to retain the 20 alt and waterpump pullies, si it wont "fill" the 1600 pulley , Im running it on the front grooves.
See pcx

Im not aware of any difference between s13 and s14 flywheels, im not a silvia expert,had very little to do with them.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

CAS Finished

Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You've managed to get back onto the site, good one!
SR motors (Well DE, and FWD DET's) are getting quite cheap nowdays. And seeing your work is tempting me to maybe one day go that way. But all the extra stuff needed (gearbox, etc) all seems to cost a bloody fortune. Are you going to have the third lobe (Or is it a second lobe since one lobe does both vales?) reground to make it even more nasty? I suppose with the V-tec system, you could have a totally obscene profile, and it would still run below 4500. Although that isn't really a consideration on a competition vehicle is it?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Correct, Use the pistons and rings from sr16ve and put them in the sr20de and you'll have 12:1 (or there abouts) compression. The 16ve pistons have the same pin height etc as 20de pistons just more dome. They also have real deep valve reliefs because the high lobes in the 16ve has 12mm of lift so you want have to worry about any 20de cams have to much lift.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Because they are a FWD engine , they have the Dizzy on what has now become the back of the head.
Its not that bigger deal on my car as I have to cut the firewall anyway to clear the VVL solenoids (see pcx)
Im turning the original Distributer into a CAS by removing the coil setup and shortening the baseplate and shaft assembly, you might be able to work out from the pcx.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Ill run remote individual coils.
Ill post some more when its finished.
Part number for ACL headgasket (repco) is BT050 SR20de (i suspect this is a FWD headgasket / dunno if theres a difference but it doesnt look the same as the S14 SR20 headgasket / it doesnt fit over the block where the oil return has been blocked) It fits fine for my purpose tho.
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

On the offchance this works,
The cams have 3 lobes per cylinder the two outers work together and open the valves , the inner big one presses on a pivoted lifter that is hyrabollickally controlled at x rpm and takes over openning the valves, quite simple

Het M, the one second was your first vs my 3rd run, I was knockinf 10secs off every run , so you would have to.

Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

This thread is awesome, thank you for sharing the info, I'm going to start hunting parts :)
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Belts done/ lined up water pump pulley spaced out , new alt mount.