Strut length

all your DIY needs
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Strut length

Post by Datto_610 »

Looks like im the first to kick off a tech and conversion info thread.

I would like to know if i need to cut down my 910 struts as im making them height adjustable for my 180B.
I have asked on OzDat and was told i should cut them down to the size of an Aus spec R31 strut and then use an r31 or z31 insert. Anyone got one lying around thay can measure up?? really wanna get my front suspension sorted out as soon as i can. Cheers.

I do remember the car did sit pretty low when i had the struts in a while back(before made adjusatble), so maybe i wont need to.
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Strut length

Post by Bartman »

Damon will know. Best buy some 180B inserts, (Damon will no the part numbers) and get wal to shorten the struts acordingly.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

I would know, but all the information I had was stored on my ride section at DOCNZ. So I couldn't tell you when I can tell you 8-) But you only need to shorten your strut if you find that you will not have enough travel. the less travel you have the harder the spring needs to be to compensate. Generally speaking, if you lower the car, and still want a comfortable ride then I recommend you shorten it to fit the 180b shock. That should be close enough.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

180B inserts in a 910 strut?? You prob know more than i do so i wont doubt your vast datsun knowledge.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

No-one seems to have the 910 inserts anymore. The 1808 ones will fit, but they have a shorter cartridge body. Get a pair of them, ans then get wal to shorten the strut tube so that the nuts just go home nicely. He just did a pair for Andy quite recently. This means you don't need to put packing under the insert to bring it up level with the top of the strut tube. Also when you slam it, having the top of the strut body a bit shorter means that the suspention can compress further before the bump stop bottoms out.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

Datto_610 wrote:180B inserts in a 910 strut?? You prob know more than i do so i wont doubt your vast datsun knowledge.
Yeah do it, unless you are going real low, then find something shorter. You will be taking about 40mm of total length off, with 180b shocks.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Awesome cheers guys will look into it :D
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

I have a Pair of 910 Blubird struts and Disks which where machined
I am selling the pair as i have gone the sunny option with Audi Disks
and Holden Calipers. Offers $$
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

I gave stocks a call today and the man said they dont stock 180b inserts anymore?!? So.... may try the R31 option unless anyone here has any suggestions?? Also what length spring would i need to suit my application?
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

stocks have listings and tech info on all their shocks.
I went in their and found out some Toyota Van Shocks would work perfect for the back of my 1600.
even if they dont have 180B shocks in stock, they should have the tech data for them (dimensions e.t.c.).
then just find a shock similar
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!