Introduce Yourself Here

The go to place for all things popular
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mlracing »

My name is Alex and some of you may know me from Moonlight Racing as that's my business, but I'm not here to plug that... Figured I should sign up as I've just purchased this (well, about 3 weeks ago).

This is not my first old car rodeo as I currently drive this:
1986 E-AT Civic Si.. in Fusion green/rust/primer.

I'll put up a build thread but there's not much to build currently. Interested to hear from others who own these or know people that do (in private is fine, I know some people don't like to be all public about stuff). Would be good to have parts connections etc.

Car due probably in October at this stage.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Welcome dude!
Congrats on your new whip!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

Lucky bastard. Love me a c10. And im not the only one. Welcome aboard
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Hi all,

thought it was about time to introduce myself after lurking around for a month or two.

I've owned about 4 or 5 1600's back in the 90's, a poo brown one, a light blue one, the orange beast, my beloved minter wagon and the SSS.

I sold the SSS around 1996 to a buddy of Steve Dunstan of Huffer fame when they were raarking them up in the Southern Lakes. It's still live apparently, so would be stoked to see where it got to. Wagon was an absolute minter, but sold it to fund uni. I built up the Orange beast a bit further than the photo below suggests. Super low circuit styles (optimistically aiming for SS2000) with Koni's all round and a worked L18 with dog leg 5 speed, exhaust etc...of course the 19 y.o dumb ass in me had to ding it up after a 3rd gear doughy and I lost the love. It's also still live.

So, many years later, I needed a new project! Looked for a super long time for a p510 and even considered doing a mish to the US for one. Was very tempted to grab the blue one in Hastings as it looked like a solid build (Craig?), but the missus would have absolutely no bar of a circuit car, even if I promised to convert it straight away and not go near a track (yeah right!)....so the wait continued.

so, happened across a one owner since new 1200 coupe after another evening passing the time on the interwebs. Buddy had one with an A15 in it back in the day, and it just so happened I'd been to Hahei for the Leadfoot festival a month or so before. Rick Bone is an absolute legend, kicking ass in that little coupe was just sick...and his exploits amongst the Porsches in the GT series was pretty funny too....So, decided the potential power to weight ratio of a 700kg car was too good to pass up (and my p510 hunt could continue). That and the fact there was a cool little back story of an un-molested one owner since new 1200 being sold by the owner's daughters who had been unwilling to part with it, 9 years since her passing. It was certainly a case of continuing the love and freshening the little beast up again.

I'll soon start a build thread, however here's some pics of old and new...missus looks pretty stoked with the mint work equips eh :P
(the offset of the mini lites were a little off at zero although looked pretty sharp)

cheers
Stu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking for a 510 at the mo

lost loves
1x KB110 - recently gone to a good home
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Did you buy that coupe of Sandra Vitali?
I spoke to her about it's value a few years ago. Pretty rare to have the OG fender mirrors too!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

yeah Bart,
bought it off Sandra and her sister. Pretty cool story...

Their Mum bought it new in Feb 1972 in Whangarei and it got well used, getting to about 120,000mls in 1995...since then only 1000 miles...in 20 years!

Their Mum passed away 9 years ago, and they had it stored in the family garage since, with the occasional run and check over.
I picked it up and drove it away 2 days before the 9th anniversary of their Mums passing...it was quite an emotional experience for all of us...I'll stay in touch with them I think.

I took it straight to my brother about 20kms up the road and realised about 5kms in that one of the front calipers was sticky...hot wheels! so, freed that up and she was sweet...albeit I was driving it pretty mellow for the first few days. Last WOF and Reg was 2008...and all it took was a new headlight, fully replaced front steering (tie rods, ball joints, idler bushes) and we had a fresh WOF...booya!

pretty stoked with my little datto...it's getting some love and will be getting a fresh lick of British Racing Green this summer.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Nice.
When I spoke to her, I think she was much more concerned about the car falling into the wrong hands than the price. Although that was right before the prices went through the roof. If someone wanted a car to do a proper stock style resto to, then this car would be the one. (That said they go so well with a bit of low, and some sidies slapped one too)
Part of me would have loved to have this car.
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

yeah, we had a good chat about her worries about it being turned into a race car!

My plan is to restore it over time...not showroom and not super original. Although plan is to do everything so it can be reverted to stock relatively easily.

I have an A15 lined up that will get a freshen up (not sure yet about sidies!). I'm just about to finish the 280zx rotor conversion (all bolts onto original struts etc) and that can be readily converted back. Prob do the the H150 into the diff action and so on...just minor tickles.

dilemma at the moment is I have to grab some new guards as I don't want to chop the stocks ones (wheels rub at the mo)...

I hear BE Parts down your way do some...do you know of the quality/ fit??

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I got a pair of Taiwanese guards off Rare Spares, they fit my car well, very little work required when fitting, so if your car is as bent as mine they are all good :)
Datsuns from A to Zed
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Hey Vaughan,

I tried Rare Spares, but the don't do any panels for the 1200...just some rust repair patches a shed load of rubbers.
I can confirm that Kent Distributors and BE Group have Guards.

Kent was about $85 + GST each
BE was about the same.

In the end, I realised that BE Parts had a store in Auckland so made sure they had some and picked them up this morning...yewwww.
:beer:

For some reason the Auckland guys wanted twice the $$$ than Chch (dix)...so, I paid for them via John at the Chch branch.

they also do bonnets.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon