Introduce Yourself Here

The go to place for all things popular
terrous

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by terrous »

Oh hai there. My name is Alex. I'm currently a double engineering student at uni in Perth, WA, and have been for two years now, however before that I lived in the Barossa Valley (90km north of Adelaide, SA). I can't say I've ever been to NZ, however I did used to live in Fiji, which has the same time zone at least. :P Well my story is a fairly long winded one, but I'll do my best to spruce it up a bit.

As I spent most of my schooling life in Fiji (other than a brief stint in QLD and VIC), when my family and I moved to South Oz in 2001 I ended up being shoved into year 10 at 14 years of age. By year 11, obviously I was now 15, most of my friends were already driving around (16.5 to drive on your own in SA), and I felt rather left out. So my dad and I joined a rally car club and purchased an old Toyota KE20 Corolla. I buzzed around in that for a while, and competed in the club challenge that year and took First in class, and 5th overall. So we started looking for a new car. I got hold of a Datsun 180b SSS, after seeing a remarkably successful driver blitzing the field in one (Jack Monkhouse), and drove it as is for the next championship. Once again I took the class and now had 3rd overall in my possession. We ended up pulling the car off of the road to build it into a dedicated rally car, complete with 6pt 'cage, seats, harnesses, driveline, tanks, pumps...(I think the list is too big for here, but if anyone wants some specs, I shall post them). Anyway, so it took us two years to build the car, as it was really pretty well built, to the point CAMS officials even stated it as being the best prepped vehicle. We competed in the club and state rounds in the car, gaining a 4th in class for the state season, and once again picking up first in club class.

The next year the car sat fairly dormant, coming out for special events and different show days, but other than that it gathered dust, due to a complete lack of faith in the governing body, causing me to pull out from regular competition. However it wasn't over!

In the meantime to all of this happening, I had been collecting 180 coupes, having had three for on road use, and five as spare part shells. My collection of 9 coupes was most likely the largest congregation of them at any one time for a very long time! My first road going one was painted in flat grey, it almost blended into the road! It ran my old rally motor, so it had plenty of grunt, was noisy as all hell and was a general menace to anyone in its way. The second was a green shell, missing front guards and bonnet, so I replaced them...with shiny pink ones! The reason for this, is that I had a turbocharged L20 under the hood, and in my opinion, the only thing commodore drivers hate more than being beaten by a Datsun, is being beaten by a pink Datsun! Which brings me to my final coupe. A yellow original with 57K original miles on the clock. I purchased the car without seeing it over on the eastern coast and had it trucked over. It really is a gem, however it has since been completely stripped. As it has a much gruntier motor and complete interior retrim going into it. Have been working on it on and off for 2 years now (living in Perth, while the car is in SA doesn't help matters), but its moving along well. It should be finished before I finish my degrees...

That really concludes my Datsun heritage, oh, the rally car was sold before I moved to Perth, for quite a hefty sum, and now lives in ACT, whether it still races or not, I can't be certain.
Brnwgn
Financial Member
aka: Hayden

Post by Brnwgn »

welcome! i use to live in perth awesome place! cool story love to see sum pics :D
terrous

Post by terrous »

Thanks mate. When I was younger I didn't really take any photos of the cars, but I've got a fair few of the project car, as well as the rally car, so as soon as I find some, I'll post them up.
Brnwgn
Financial Member
aka: Hayden

Post by Brnwgn »

kool 8-)
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter
aka: Craig

Post by hsepwr »

Hi to all the addicts out there

Im Craig phillips and im 26 years old.
Im a joiner by trade but now manage a joinery factory with 6 monkeys in it as well as project management and quantity surveying.
My datsun addiction started when i was about 12 when i seen my first 1600.I told my old boy im gunna own one of those one day and he laughed and told me there would be none left by the time i had the money.
I purchased a 69 1600 in 2007 and built it as a tarmac race car.
I think ya cant beat these little clubs where everyone helps each other out.

looking forward to meeting more of you fellas
I REAKON THE WORD CANT MEANS CANT BE FU%&#CKED
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

Im Andy 21 joined the Navy when I left school, did that for a couple of years then came back to Christchurch. Doing a building apprenticeship at the moment mainly doing renovations on all sorts of houses. I brought my first (an only so far) datsun on the way back to Christchurch from Auckland off trademe without even seeing it. Turned out to be a steal though thankfully. Then I joined this club went to some meet ups met some good cunts, and the rest is history.
68datogal

Post by 68datogal »

hey my name is bryony, i am 19 and live in hamilton, recently bought a 1968 datsun bluebird after my 1978 ke30 corolla was stolen, its an awesome little car and am gonna have some fun with it. plan on doing engine work sometime soon. will try get some pics up of it soon
CHSEME
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

Welcome aboard, would be good to see your new ride
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Go the early bluebirds!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

Hey guys,
Names dylan phillips 17
im at school still but doing work experience and trying to get an apprentiship at oldridge electrical.

i brought my first datsun about 3 months ago. its my second car first was a yella toyota corolla liftbk...broke the gbox haha....noob'd it... since buyin my datty i've become quite a fan, i love it ae. haha they are something ya can spend all ya dosh on and not feel any regret unlike this guy...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 381518.htm

Cant wait to show you blokes my ride when its painted (not finished....long project road ahead of me)

looking forward to akaroa cruise so i can meet fellow datsun club members :)