BATTERIES SUITABLE FOR OLD DATSUNS

For all your general datsun ramblings
DATSN1200
Regular

BATTERIES SUITABLE FOR OLD DATSUNS

Post by DATSN1200 »

BATTERIES SUITABLE FOR DATSUN 1200 AND SIMILAR SIZE ENGINES / A12

Having spent hours trying to locate a new Lead Acid Battery for this model car ,I found there is only one now available new
It can be bought from Excide Technologies
Model LM 40DP / 290 CCA
The only modification is fitting inserts on the posts as they only come in the smaller size
My mechanic fitted one yesterday in my 1972 Datsun 1200 / A12 series
The Datsun alternator only gives 35 amps max output at around 14.5 volts which will not charge any new type Calcium Battery
Exide recommend charging every 3 months for 12 hours to maintain in fully charged state any lead acid unit
If you fit any other type of batteries you will need to disconnect the earth after running the car and trickle charge at 1.5 amps overnight every 2 weeks
KOBA BATTERIES have a composite battery which will fit but needs trickle charging monthly
They recommended removing earth lead when parked up
That's the problem when you are not running the vehicle ever week
My Auto Electrican agrees and said he could tweet up the voltage regulator but does not recommend doing this

Trust this info is useful to other Datsun owners needing a replacement battery in the future

Cheers
Joseph
DATSN1200
Regular

Re: BATTERIES SUITABLE FOR OLD DATSUNS

Post by DATSN1200 »

Have now located a new Century Lead Acid Battery that is the correct fit in the original frame which I have just fitted
It has large Posts but as advised by the Sales Manager of Century these are no longer being manufactured in Korea
They have a composite replacement which will require charging over night to top up every 2 months due to the size Alternator in the car
I sold my old one within 24 hours on Trade me to a guy wanting a Lead Acid unit for an original Mitsi Cordia Turbo