Fuel pump recommendations

For all your general datsun ramblings
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Fuel pump recommendations

Post by broke »

I'm looking at fuel systems now, I'm already resigned to building my own undercar surge tank and mounting external pumps as I can't afford the Aeromotive Phantom system and haven't seen any in-tank setups that don't get fuel surge.

What external electric fuel pumps do people recommend - is there something cheaper than the Carter rotary one for a lift pump that's still quiet? EFI pumps - anyone used those Chinese knock-offs of the Bosch 040's etc? I'm not trying to support 500hp or anything, but I don't want to be changing it every week either.

Also don't want a fuel pump that's louder than my exhaust.

Thoughts?
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Fuel pump recommendations

Post by classicdat »

How about an in tank surge tank? I have not see it done, or heard of it, but I have nothing to do with EFI, but why not make you under car tank a tall thin one that fits inside your fuel tank, safe, secure, no need for a return line and small diameter and tall should make it very surge proof??
Just a thought, and noise may be able to be managed too, or are in tank pumps the things you are trying to avoid?
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Asher's car has a Chinese 044 in it, it seems to be working okay. I've always liked the looks of the "Nismo" low pressure pumps for lift pumps, the Gibson GTRs had two of them in the boot, they aren't that spendy on Yahoo.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

classicdat wrote:How about an in tank surge tank? I have not see it done, or heard of it, but I have nothing to do with EFI, but why not make you under car tank a tall thin one that fits inside your fuel tank, safe, secure, no need for a return line and small diameter and tall should make it very surge proof??
Just a thought, and noise may be able to be managed too, or are in tank pumps the things you are trying to avoid?
o yes you have I run a in tank surge tank in the 260z and how many times have you scrutineered it . So its true you get Datsun fever and just let them all trough a.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

The VL Commy external in the 120Y was quiet enough wasn't it?

Have a look for something similar in GM and go to Rockauto.

I just brought a mechanical pump for a mazda that was $160+ everywhere i rang around. $60NZD landed from rockauto and it was AIRTEX brand too (same as what i would have brought here)
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Vectra was the same pump - so you could get the bolt on rubber mount setup off one from pikapart - job done
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

I mounted an intank pump and did what Vaughn suggested , seems to work well.pump I got off djz , pretty sure its out of a 280z
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Cheers guys, in-tank is quite appealing as it's omly pne pump, one relay, one set of plumbing etc, however I'm still pretty keen on a surge tank having heard of some other people's bad experiences with in-tank

Might look and see what those Nismo ones are going for (I could swear they're the same as a 260C pump) compared to the Carter - I remember quite liking the "bong-smoking" noise they make :D

And yeah that pump in the 120Y seemed like a good one, for some reason I had it in my head that VL's were in-tank 040's? Seems like if you want a huge fuel pump or injectors you're spoilt for choice nowadays, it's the smaller stuff that's harder to get!
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

John my suggestion was putting the surge tank in the fuel tank, less room taken up and less plumbing but still the protection factor, but yes 2 pumps required. (which could be external)
Datsuns from A to Zed
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

John my suggestion was putting the surge tank in the fuel tank, less room taken up and less plumbing but still the protection factor, but yes 2 pumps required. (which could be external)
Datsuns from A to Zed