Not strictly a Datsun question SR20 cam swap..........

For all your general datsun ramblings
180B4me

Not strictly a Datsun question SR20 cam swap..........

Post by 180B4me »

I have an SR20de S14 RWD in a jet boat. I made the grisly discovery that I have rust on the cam lobes as the motor sat for a long time in less than ideal conditions. It seems to run fine and is not smoky. I am about to swap the cams (thanks Chris for providing the replacements). I am aware that to deal with the cam chain, you can either remove the oil filter and then remove the cam chain tensioner. The trouble with this option is that it is a pain with the motor mounted in the boat but it is doable (have to suck the oil out the dipstick hole and access to the tensioner is not great). Instead I plan to use the wooden block method to block the cam chain as per the JWT instructions http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ca ... orsr20.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Image My first question is.... the notches in the wedge what function do they perform? is it important to cut them to an exact size? Is that diagram to scale?

If there is anyone in Dunedin who wants some beer who has done an SR20 swap feel free to PM me :beer:
chris_g1
Committee Members

Re: Not strictly a Datsun question SR20 cam swap..........

Post by chris_g1 »

Sorry I couldn't help you more the drive down would take me a little over two days I'd say hahaha. But the beer should get someone to help you mate.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure those notches are just so that you can wrap a wire or whatever around the top of the block to be able to pull it out afterwards.
180B4me

Post by 180B4me »

yeah you could be right except in several threads I read that this was done by drilling a hole in it and putting a cable tie in like in this pic I found

this made me wonder if the notches helped to lock it in position
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Done it heaps of times with a wedge, not sure about the notches, mine just has a hole with a loop of wire to pull it out, sometimes you need to turn it over a bit to loosen it. Also zip tie the chain to the cam wheels so you dont have to check timing, and make sure its at TDC with both 1st cam lobes pointing outwards.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

SR20's with lack of maintenance devour cams. They're really bad for it.
The internet must have loads of how to's on it?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Take that block of wood your trying to make your life hard with and throw it over your shoulder, The SR20 cam chain can not fall off the lower cam sprocket, As there is a guide on the front cover that sits just below the cam chain when bolted together this does not give the chain enough room to fall down and skip a tooth, (no matter how hard you try,

Cable tie chain to the cam sprockets,
Remove tentioner,
Unbolt cam sprockets, ( a slimmed down 27mm spanner helps)
remove cams,
Install new cams sitting them in the same position as the old ones,
Cut cable ties and reinstall tentioner,

Put cover back on and your done,
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

The wedge saves having to remove the tensioner. FWD ones are a pain the arse, as the oil filter and brake master cylinder are right there. Also means there is less chance of getting the timing wrong when putting it back together. Ive not done a RWD.