O shit this is what happins when you get to clever

For all your general datsun ramblings
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Re: O shit this is what happins when you get to clever

Post by gman »

classicdat wrote:Oh Wow, don't think that will buff out. Was the cam the chicken or the Egg?
Oh wise one you ask all the right questions it looks like the head fell off the valve first so the cam was the egg.Now you look at the pics and till me how I came to that?
Last edited by gman on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Ohh that's nasty!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
volodkovich
Regular

Post by volodkovich »

gman wrote:
broke wrote:Did you remove and refit the cam towers?
No the spring rate had to be so high because the ramp on the cam is so harsh.So looks like I am going to have to make a chromoly cam?
What is the cam profile and what were your open & closed spring loads? I'd be happy to look into this a bit for you as I have never seen an L smash a cam to bits like this! Could be a harmonic issue.. Ramp acceleration doesn't change spring requirement much, it is more the negative acceleration over the nose that does. High opening acceleration however does tend to increase the Fourier content of the profile which can excite valve springs in a bad way.
WhitleyTune - Bespoke Camshaft, Valvetrain & Aluminium casting
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

volodkovich wrote:
gman wrote:
No the spring rate had to be so high because the ramp on the cam is so harsh.So looks like I am going to have to make a chromoly cam?
What is the cam profile and what were your open & closed spring loads? I'd be happy to look into this a bit for you as I have never seen an L smash a cam to bits like this! Could be a harmonic issue.. Ramp acceleration doesn't change spring requirement much, it is more the negative acceleration over the nose that does. High opening acceleration however does tend to increase the Fourier content of the profile which can excite valve springs in a bad way.
Thanks Man I had to go up 10% on the springs last rebuild because I was getting sign of spring flutter and it looks like it pulled the head off the valve and the pistons have come up and hit the valves and that's broken the cam.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

volodkovich wrote:
gman wrote:
So basically this is what I heard in my head when I read this! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHk40Vv ... tu.be&t=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My orangatang 510 here.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Haha that video is awesome

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
240znz
Financial Member
aka: James

Post by 240znz »

Only one word required.

Bugger!
kobyn
Datsun Mad

O shit this is what happins when you get to clever

Post by kobyn »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Do you have a replacement cylinder head? I know where there's an.old l26 that might have a good head.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

Bartman wrote:Do you have a replacement cylinder head? I know where there's an.old l26 that might have a good head.
Thanks Bart always looking for heads. well now its time to work out what to do I think I will get the little women a new handbag and me some more HP?