Any info on a 1600 510 1968 Ive just aquired

For all your general datsun ramblings
OldNathan

Any info on a 1600 510 1968 Ive just aquired

Post by OldNathan »

Hey guys. Ive slid over to see if I can get some helpful info on a 1600 Ive just picked up.

Is there any cool info on these as I have read the 68's are different

Its a 1968 with 65,000 on the clock. Unfortunately its deregistered but it does still have the black plates on it. It needs some rust and panel work done in the rear but it doesnt look that bad. Well to me anyway.

I have most of the bits, but it is missing a few like a door card and small things like that. All the panels are there.
Original silver paint so I know its not hiding anything over and above what I can see.

Any help with what Ive got and what its worth in this market?

Thanks

Nathan

Image[/URL]
denpal
Financial Member
aka: denpal

Re: Any info on a 1600 510 1968 Ive just aquired

Post by denpal »

Nice! I know that some '68's had metallic paint originally - I had one with a greeny metallic colour that was definitely the original paint.

The dash would be metal not plastic on these (apart from the top pad), strip speedo. I prefer these earlier '68 and '69 dashes as the top pad is lower giving better visibility, and strip speeds are fine by me too.

I hope this can be out back on the road, good luck with it!
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

The dash is unique to a 68 but the 69 is similar. The front below grille indicators are smaller, the front guard side indicators are different, as mentioned above the speedo on 68 and 69 is a strip rather than round, I have been told also that the door cards are specific to this model too,the tail lights are unique to a 68 and the main thing to differentiate this model is the window wipers which are opposing, that is they are at the outer edge and come towards the middle and because of this the scuttle panel is also only on this model. Common rust places are the bottom of both front guards, the sills, the bottom half of rear guards and the floor. If it's been under cover most of its life it might not be bad but it will be there. As Neil Young sings" rust never sleeps". Will be keen to see more photos as you do this up and am envious on your acquisition. Would love to have the rarest Datsun 1600. Hope to see it back on the road one day. I have been told there is some way of getting it revinned with the original black plates but don't the exact process. Someone on here might know. Great find and all the best for your build.
Bernie and Chris. (1969 Datsun 1600).
See our build thread on this forum under heading the 69er.
OldNathan

Post by OldNathan »

Thanks heaps guys. I have my panel beater looking at it tomorrow to give me a price on the rust work. It has some in the boot well, bottom of the rear guards and a little around the guard. Sills and doors and front guards seem to be ok. I has been in a shed most of the time but the guy I got it off recently put it outside with a tarp. I saved this one just in time.

But in saying all this I am a Toyota man and didnt actually mean to get this. I just stumbled on it and had to get it. Im hoping I can invest what needs to be invested into it but if not I might have to move it on to someone who can and also has more of a passion for these.

It is my favorite Datsun along side the 240K and 1200 coupe, but unless it was a 240K I would always look at it, wishing it was a 240k haha.

Nathan
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Check the bottom edges of the doors, that's where you will see rust if there is any.
Bernie.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Looks like a good score!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
OldNathan

Post by OldNathan »

Have just been offered a car I can t refuse so the decision has been made to move this on.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

youll have to post up a couple of pics of your other rides for the guys. This guy means business when building cars aye ;) ;)
OldNathan

Post by OldNathan »

Haha probably the wrong forum Brocky :)

1UZ RX30

Soon to be 1GZ V12 MX41

Brother in laws 310 A15

68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

Just to add my two cents worth on differences from newer 1600's. The panel near the wiper motor is also quite different with the wiper motor mounted on a bracket. I see it has a delux badge so will have a clock, the non delux didn't. Also the pre 70 models where not assembled in NZ and have slightly better rust proofing and underseal than the NZ models. That is also why the SSS's lasted slightly longer. Standards certainly slipped a few later as shown by some of the early imports.

The process of getting the old black plates back in the system involves contacting the right person at land transport and sending photos to prove the plates are in good condition. Also joining a vintage car club helps as they have systems to ease the way.

I hope this car gets back on the road.
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son