Glen / 510WGN will be here shortly......

For all your general datsun ramblings
mark105
Datsun Dreamer
aka: 10 5

Re: Glen / 510WGN will be here shortly......

Post by mark105 »

Godzilladat wrote:Can I make a suggestion that I've seen work on other forums?

Load the DOCNZ database into a forum and lock it. Keep a link to it on the main page so it can be used as an archive for searching info. Fixing db errors is a never ending story, this is the only way to move forward.

Start a new fresh database with better forum software (invision power board etc), cost $180 US or similiar to purchase outright and is alot more stable and has better features and support.
I agree with this database are fickle things, it could be fixed but chances are with the amount of data that DOCNZ would have it in it would be huge and would be a mission to fix EVERYTHING, the main issues could be resolved but for future upgrades problems could arise again.

So i suggest what has been said above is a good idea. Old forums setup (database issues fixed to a degree that the old forum will actually work) but locked so no new post can be made but so members can edit their old posts and copy and past such things out if they wish for the new forum. And a new forum setup and start from there. PHPBB is fine there isnt really a need to buy forum software but if you feel you want the extra features/support you could.

If any one wants a hand with the above mentioned stuff im extending my services.
kiwi510

Post by kiwi510 »

Man have i missed alot, all i have been wanting to do since the site orignially went down is to cruise topics and get a bit of a datsun fix (not to mention find a new datsun). Who cares who has a site up and running, nobody owns the right to datsuns in NZ.

The biggest problem with all of this is alot of good friends have dissappeared from the club due to infighting(the reason i left oldschool to come here). Ultimately the club will suffer, not ego's if everyone doesn't get back on side. ;)

P.S. Anyone seen a nice cheap datsun for me to buy? ;) ;)
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

What flavour are you after?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
kiwi510

Post by kiwi510 »

Bartman wrote:What flavour are you after?
Am connsidering anything at the moment, shame johns 260c looks like it is sold, am quite keen on it. :( :(