rb30 ideas- PROS & CONS

For all your general datsun ramblings
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

rb30 ideas- PROS & CONS

Post by dirtyleppa »

i have a rb30 waiting to be rebuilt for my laurel. i will be keeping it single cam to be sort of different but im not to sure what i should do performance wise.

i would really like to build a decent turbo set up to keep my speed addiction going, but i love the old skool side of things with 3 big dirty side draft carbs and low massive exhaust headers, or even maybe independent throttle bodies.

i know either way i go its gonna cost me money, so im not really worried about that.

the main thing is i wanna know the pros and cons of each so i can make a more detailed choice when it comes time to get it done.

i will be using it on the road regularly but not to bothered about a bit of lag or having to rev to get anywhere, and it will maybe used for some trackdays, but mainly just for me to enjoy driving it.

any help or ideas would be mint,

cheers
cheater_5
Datsun Dreamer

Re: rb30 ideas- PROS & CONS

Post by cheater_5 »

The turbo efi route has been tryed and tested so there will be lots of people to ask questions too.
Id say you're going to get a lot more bang for your buck with the turbo efi route, but in saying that
theres nothing like the sound of ITB's on a large engine with a decent cam and the whole hardly anyone
out there has done it thang. I guess you really gotta answer the question, what do YOU want more? Id be
going down the turbo route as lots easyish power always puts a smile on my face.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I'd use a twin cam head if I were you. The single cam heads are notorious for cracking. (Atl east in holdens! Although I've cracked an RB20e head in a nissan, and know of numorus others that have too) With the twincam head you'll be able to get bolt on manifolds, so you wont have to cunt around making shit. Plus I reckon the twin cam head is just better becuase it's newer. They are getting cheaper to buy too.

Have read here, (if you haven't already) http://meggala.com/RB30head.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

I'f its just for your enjoyment go the 6 ITB's or tripple carbs and a big lairy cam. it might not be as fast but everytime you get in that car and thrash it up to redline you'll get out with a smile on your face.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

nick_m wrote:I'f its just for your enjoyment go the 6 ITB's or tripple carbs and a big lairy cam. it might not be as fast but everytime you get in that car and thrash it up to redline you'll get out with a smile on your face.
this is what i want to happen when i drive it. im just tossing up ideas at the mo.

i know a turbo will make alot more power cheaper and easier, but a howling n/a 6 cyl is just so awesome.

i was watching a best motoring dvd and they had a r31 with triple carbed rb30 and a r32 with itb rb25 and they both sounded like pure sex.

i so want that but a big snail with lotsa boost is also tempting :(

i need to win lotto so i can do both
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

at least with a turb, you'll be able to get some semblance of fuel economy when the right foot isn't screwed to the firewall.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

sounds like the turbo route is the way to go. what i really need is to go for a ride in both sorts and then make up my mind
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Forced induction, because everyone knows you don't bring a knife to a gunfight!
cheater_5
Datsun Dreamer

Post by cheater_5 »

link to said videos please. Ive seen one that sounds similar but still, link?
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

i cant find a link but have the dvd, but for the life of me i cant seem to take the sigment out and out it on the computer