Got a diff question

torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Got a diff question

Post by torqued »

Found your answer

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/to ... mount-faq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
160jsss
Financial Member

Re: Got a diff question

Post by 160jsss »

Thanks Adam
Sticky :burnout:
Violet - ??????
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Since this is now a Diff Information Thread I might throw my 2 cents in, however its more aimed at somebody fitting up an LSD centre into an open diff

A couple things I have discovered as part of building my R200 Recently

*Tools you will need
Datsun/Nissan Factory Service manual - haynes Manual probally won't tell you anything.
Dial Gauge & Mag Base
Tidy Area To work
1/4 dr Inch Pound Dial Torque Wrench ( for preload measuring )
Gear Marking Paste

*When Working on your IRS Diff it is really usefull to have it "G" clamped onto a metal bench or surface

*When you measure backlash it is usefull to clamp the input flange onto something so you get a totally accurate reading every time.

*It is Very Important to get your Backlash exactly back to where it was so it wont make horrible noises. Getting it right can be tricky and will probally take you ages. it also helps to burgle a variety of diffierent size Datsun/Nissan shims from some broken or parts diffs before you Start

*Wilson Brother Sell Handy Packet of Universal shim stock that includes a whole bunch of diffierent thicknesses which one can cut out with scizors for various preload adjstments ( mainly side bearings and backlash )

*Check your Diff's total preload with an inch pound dial torque wrench BEFORE you pull it to its, i have discovered this to be an excellent indication of the condition of a Diffs Bearings. If you have close to Zero preload all your bearings are shagged or the diff is poorly setup.

*If you do need to remove your Pinon Shaft ( on an IRS OR R200 DIFF ) you can actually use a large 2 jaw gear puller instead of using a hydrualic press.
DO NOT BASH ON THE NUT WITH A HAMMER, you will ruin the nut or the thread and it will make you Rage 10 / 10 . ( no i didn't actually do this )

Hopefully this saves somebody some time. I learned a lot and I can totally strip and assemble an R200 like a pro in no time at all now if anybody needs help

some of you guys might find this a good read principles are the same for most Nissan IRS Diffs
http://xenonz31.com/files/Z31%20R200%20 ... lip%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Moved to tech articles.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

When referencing another forum like that for key information you should copy it over and show reference where you copied it from. Justr in case the other website closes or the thread gets deleted.
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I have a small addition to this diff tech thread.

Please do not ever remove the pinion shaft unless you are doing the following.
*Fitting new bearings
*Going to do a very through clean and inspection and re assemble with new seals following the service manual exactly and taking all the measurements and making up where each part goes.

on a Nissan diff you don't have a lot of reasons to remove the pinion shaft unless he bearings are totally rooted, that being the case the bearings are very difficult to source - you can read more about the availability problem on hybrid Z.

So if anybody is thinking about taking their diff somewhere to get worked on, please don't attempt to strip it down, Many measurements need to be taken from the diff BEFORE it gets worked on.

My recommendation is that you clean and degrease the diff internally and externally to make it as friendly to work on as possible, this makes more of a difference than sending your diff man a half stripped down diff.

There are not many long nose parts left so we need to keep as many of these old buggers alive and skidding for as long as possible.

Another handy tip is to crack loose the fill up and drain plugs while the vehicle is still in he car, last one i undone was seized up so me, Dan & another dude were all cracking on it to get it lose along with a half can on CRC Penetrate.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30