Forum Upgrades

please list any ideas or problems you are having here
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Forum Upgrades

Post by classicdat »

:thumbsup: Sounds Good Ernie. Appreciate what you are doing for the forum. Have no idea what it is, but appreciate it.
Datsuns from A to Zed
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

So yesterday I started the migration from the old service to a new version of the same service (forced to do that to enable ssh on the hosting we already have).

This I thought might take minutes or maybe up to an hour to migrate so I moved the forums to another folder and put up a migration page. The reason for this is that the migration also includes migrating the database over before the full website is migrated over. That means any posts made on the forums between when go daddy migrate the database and when the nzdatsun domain points to the new server could potentially be lost.

After pulling the trigger on the migration a subsequent message has stated it could take up to 24 hours for this process to complete.
Reading their own help system has shown it has taken up to 72 hours for others.

In that regard, I have decided to enable the forums again and hope that the switch doesn't lead to any lost posts. I will keep an eye on the status of the migration and keep you all informed.
My orangatang 510 here.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Yeah... So Godaddy shit the bed 3 times in the last week.

First, their migration failed to migrate the forum database which caused their whole migration script to fail. Only reason why the migration got started again was because I rang them on Wednesday to find the fault. They restarted it and said 24 hours.

Come Thursday evening (over 24 Horus later) I called again. This time it shit the bed trying to zip the 20gb of files to send to the new server.

Then came today when they said the migration was done to find only half the files migrated (half the actual website and half the uploaded files).

So now I am in the process of restring the website and the missing files.

I have upgraded the forum software from 3.0.1 through to 3.1.10. 3.2 upgrade fails with another go daddy php issue.

Anyway, I should have all the post files restored tomorrow then we can come up with a plan to ditch this host.
My orangatang 510 here.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

New layout lookin good! Good job Ging!
"Dude you're like 30 degrees retarded" - Chris_g1 & 2 Doors
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

The forum looked really odd in Chrome to start off with - had to shift F5 to get it to reload everything for it to come right, just in case anybody else has the same problem.

Other than that it's looking/working sweet.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Congratulations are in order for those for the masterminds that pulled this off

Its awesome, can't thank you guys enough.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

Big ups to Ernest/Ging for his ongoing efforts. Understand how much of a PITA this has been, and have had endless issues for some time. We've known for a wee while the move from Godaddy hosting is a must, and this is certainly the right step in the right direction (finally) 8-)

Thanks again mate, and looking forward to us being able to action the next steps in this 'exciting' process haha

Regards,

Nick/Braasy

P.S. Love the fact the new forum version now supports mobile interface. Been looking forward to a supported version for a while now 'cause I hate Tapatalk haha
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Great effort Ginge, What a faf around, good on you guys for pushing through and getting us out of this situation and bringing it home.
Hey I have lost my recent posts and new posts buttons, are they there somewhere< and I am just too much of a Newb to find them?
Datsuns from A to Zed
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Found it! they are in Quick Links in the top left hand corner. Below phpBB and above 'Board Index"
Datsuns from A to Zed
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Forum looks much more modern, and so much easier to use on my phone.

Well done everyone involved, especially gingofthesouth for putting in the hours to mske this happen. Thanks guys!